Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 01 Jul 2022 07:45:49 GMT by Robert Marriott
I have a US 401(k) pension fund from when I was employed in the US (at the time I was resident in the US for tax purposes and non-resident in the UK for tax purposes but a UK citizen). There have been no contributions or withdrawals whilst I have been resident in the UK for tax purposes. I know that when I start to take a income from that 401(k) I will have to report it to the HMRC. However I have also been advised that it is wise to report the existence of the fund in the "additional information" on my UK tax form to ensure there is a clear record of the fund long before I take any withdrawals. I understand that this is quite a common situation but I cannot find guidance on the correct way to report this information and the correct form of words to report it on the form under "additional information"?
Posted Mon, 04 Jul 2022 09:47:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

If you already complete a Self Assessment tax return, you can add this in the additional information box and quote what you have asked in the question.

If you do not complete a return, you can send in a letter.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.