Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 04 Dec 2022 02:36:08 GMT by James D
Hi, I am unsure if I can add my business mileage to my self assessment tax return as I do this already monthly when claiming Universal Credit. Many thanks for any help.
Posted Tue, 06 Dec 2022 15:31:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would still be declaring this on your SA return .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 13 Dec 2022 15:03:39 GMT by James D
Thanks very much. I asked because I have already benefitted through declaring my mileage monthly via UC and am surprised if this can also be used as an expense when submitting my SA. It surely would mean me benefitting twice: - once, through UC payments and then a second time as a business expense in my SA return. Please clarify this before I proceed. Kind regards, 
Posted Thu, 15 Dec 2022 11:06:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Universal Credit is not a taxable benefit. It would not be taken into account when we look at your tax.

In both instances the departments are querying your income less any allowable expenses.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:34:11 GMT by James D
Thanks again for that. I have two further queries, please: 1: My business mileage was 5674 between April 5th 2021 to April 6th 2022. I have calculated that I can claim this as an expense by multiplying 5674 by 0.45. This gives £2553 as fuel expense. Is that correct, please? 2: I also had the following extra expenses during the above period: MOT, breakdown cover, new tyres x2, steering column greasing, road tax. These combined costs, as I understand it, I need to work out as a percentage of business use when also accounting for personal use. Looking at my car's MOT history, I only have mileage figures between Late November/Early December 2020 (41,358), 2021 (47,042) and 2022 (55,843), when the MOTs were done. This makes calculating the % for personal and business use unclear to me. How do I go about working out my overall mileage between April 5th 2021 to April 6th 2022, please? Many thanks, James
Posted Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:23:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you are claiming the mileage (simplified expenses) you cannot then claim for the extra expenses as the 45p is to cover all car related expenses.

You have states your business mileage is 5674 and as such you would not need to work out the personal side for expenses.

Expenses if you're self-employed

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:32:53 GMT by James D
Thanks. So, is there no way I can claim both my business mileage and the other expenses I mentioned together? Thanks
Posted Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:39:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

No, using mileage (simplied) is to cover the wear and tear of the car wich covers the cost of tyres etc.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:00:38 GMT by James D
Thanks, So, am I right in thinking that I can now do one of two things: 1. Use the figure £2553 (mileage:5,674 x 0.45) as a business expense. or 2. Add up all of the actual costs of petrol, insurance, tyre replacement, road tax, breakdown cover, servicing, steering column greasing and then work out the % which relates to business use (in relation to personal use) and use that figure. Also, if that is correct am I right in thinking that going forward for future self assessments I must stick to whichever I have chosen for this assessment period? Thanks
Posted Fri, 23 Dec 2022 11:40:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 30

That is correct. You would decide which option is better for you and whichever you choose, you need to continue to use each year.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 28 Dec 2022 22:43:19 GMT by James D
Great. Last question: on which part of the expenses section do I add the flat rate mileage amount please?
Posted Wed, 04 Jan 2023 16:23:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi James D,

Within the employment page there is a question - do you want to claim expesnes. answer yes and this opens other boxes and there is one specificially for business mileage.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.