Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Oct 2022 19:37:01 GMT by bosch123
Hi, I am planning to submit self assessment for FY 21/22 My tax code was changed from 1257L to 1288L during the FY21/22, clearly the new tax code includes £312 as Work from home Expenses. During self assessment, I noticed that, the calculation still uses the tax code 1257L (as 'minus Personal Allowance') to calculate 'Total income on which tax is due' Is that correct calculation ? Shouldn't it take 1288L as 'minus Personal Allowance' Or, Do I need to declare £312 as employment expenses? Please guide me on this.
Posted Wed, 02 Nov 2022 11:56:52 GMT by
Hi bosh123 

You will need to tailor your online tax return, to include 'other expenses and capital allowances', so that the expenses in your tax code are included in the Self Assessment calculation.  

If submitting a paper tax return, you will need to enter the expense on SA102 in box 20.

Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 02:09:56 GMT by Saro
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Fri, 03 Feb 2023 14:14:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Saro,

You can amend the tax return online to add the allowance that put your code to 1288L.

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.