Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 02:12:46 GMT by
I keep getting my application rejected because HMRC say my main address doesn't match the address on their records. I have updated the address online through my personal tax account.
Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:33:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

If this has happened more than once please contact our helpline and advise them you have been unable to register because of this:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 09 Apr 2023 19:32:19 GMT by Giacomo22
I have the same problem...how can I do? Someone can help.me? Please
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:09:15 GMT by BPS WONG
Hi HMRC Administrator, I have the same problem and have waited for an hour without having someone picking up my call to the hotline. My address provided is correct and I could not understand why I got the email saying that it does not match the record. Grateful to know if I can just complete the form in hard copy and send to the HMRC by post for registration instead of doing it online.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:51:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you have been unable to register online, you can contact our Self Assessment team.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:15:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Yes, You can.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:25:46 GMT by
Hi, I also keep getting my application rejected because HMRC says my main address doesn't match the address on their records, even though I typed it as shown under my profile on the tax service website. My problem is that I relocated to the Caribbean last year, so contacting your helpline would be very expensive. Is there a way to resolve this issue online?
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 07:27:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi bigtone63,
The self assesment helpline can be called from overseas on Overseas +44 161 931 9070.
Alternatively, you could contact the Self Assessment webchat service at:
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:58:04 GMT by
Hello HMRC Admin, I got the same issue. After completing the application for self-assessment online and clicked submit, an email arrived the next day saying the application was rejected "because the address provided does not match our records... You will need to check or update your address before resubmitting the form. You can check and update your address online using your Personal Tax Account." I signed in to my personal tax account and the address is correct. I cannot amend a correct address. I then submitted another application and filled in exactly the same address and get the same rejection email. I waited for over an hour to speak to the self-assessment team at 0300 200 3310. I was told to call 0300 200 3602 instead. There are more than 9 thousand posts on this subject, surely its a bug with HMRC's system. Please tell me what to do? thanks.
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 13:06:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If the address held online is correct then you should be able to register online. If you are still having this issue then you would need to contact HMRC to review your record.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.