Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 13 Jan 2024 22:58:42 GMT by
Hi . My friend has recently applied for a UTR but hasn’t received it . Obviously she can’t submit or pay without it . Would she be able to appeal the late penalty if she doesn’t receive the UTR by 31st as she has no way of doing it . The website says you will receive in 10 days ,she has a Copy of the registration submission which has a date on it Thanks in advance
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:47:55 GMT by
I applied for almost 1 month but have not received now. Regards
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:25:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Lottie93,
Once your friend has received her UTR and filed any outstanding returns, she can appeal against any penalty. 
She would need to make this appeal in writing, confirming why she believes the penalty should be cancelled.
Thank you, 
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 15:10:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi MS Cheung,

As we usually experience a higher volume of UTR requests around this time of year, the timescale for processing your request may be different from usual. For an update of when you can expect your UTR, contact our Self Assessment team by webchat or post.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 09:22:14 GMT by
I have applied for half month as well and still waiting. However, I haven't received any submission confirmation, does this means I haven't submitted? Should I resubmit again? If I haven't received any confirmation, how can I provide evidence for penalty appeal?
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:22:01 GMT by
I have applied on 12 Jan, 2024 via online as well and still waiting. However, I haven’t received any submission confirmation or any updated news until now. Is it received my application or not? I worry if we can’t complete the tax return on 31 Jan 2024. How can I check it? Also, if there penalty, how can I provide evidence for penalty appeal?
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:09:16 GMT by
It looks like most of us has not received a confirmation email and no UTR is received until today...does this means the only way is to wait and until penalty is received then we appeal? I try to call the hotline but I couldn't get into any real person answering...
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:19:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If applied 2 weeks ago then there will still be time to register and allocate your UTR. If you did not get an error message when you submitted your registraion then you do not need to submit again. 
Thankyou.

Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 14:11:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you have an online account once the UTR is allocated the details would be shown there.
Once the UTR is allocated as the tax return will be issued to you late you will have 3 months and a week to submit the tax return before late filing penalties are charged.
As you registered after 5 October 2023 the original payment date, 31 January 2024, will apply.
If a balance is due and paid late you can appeal the penalty:
Check when to appeal a Self Assessment penalty for late filing or late payment
If you submitted your reference online you should have a submission reference that you can quote. 
Thankyou.
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 14:50:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi ckwok,

Yes, that is correct, if you receive a penalty you would appeal at the time. You can find guidance here:

Check when to appeal a Self Assessment penalty for late filing or late payment

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 22:51:31 GMT by
Hi HMRC, I haven't received the UTR since I applied on 12 Jan, 2024, and I checked with online chat via HMRC. They replied I can receive on 2 Feb, 2024. But I haven't received. Can you let me know when can I do on next? Thanks!!
Posted Fri, 09 Feb 2024 13:17:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you have stil not received your UTR and passed the date that it should have been allocated then you will need to contact our Self Assessment team to review.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.