Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 08:20:06 GMT by siufai6 Siu
Hi, I moved to the UK last Oct and I'm trying to fill my first self assessment. My case is like: 1. I bought and sold foreign shares. I have a net LOSS. In this case I believe there is no CGT. 2. I sold my house in a foreign country. The disposal was done within 9 months after I moved out of the property. In this case I would not need to pay CGT. Consider both 1 &2, do I still need to report the gain/loss in the self assessment? If yes, do I need to fill in the SAME gain/loss in BOTH SA106 and SA108? Thanks for your help. Regards, 

Name removed Admin
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 11:34:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You will report the loss so that this can then be noted so that it can be used against any future capital gain.
Posted Fri, 02 Jun 2023 10:25:51 GMT by siufai6 Siu
Dear Admin 10, Thanks for the reply. In SA106 form, if I do not wish to claim foreign tax relief , do I still need to report the loss in this form (I have filled SA108)? If yes, which section should I put the loss in SA106? I read the SA106 note on HMRC website but couldn't find the answer. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 10:55:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You do not need the SA106. You can give details of the loss separately.
They must be notified to HMRC within 4 years of the tax year in which they arise so that they can be carried forward to be used at a later date.
You can show this as additional information on the return or send in a letter.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.