Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 16:00:47 GMT by SKL111
For the last few years I have no UK income but oversea incomes so that I have been filing self assessment returns using my government gateway. Starting from the next year, I may expect some UK incomes as a self employed sole trader. Do I need to open a new account to register for sole tradership? I look through this web page and it says that I can register it through my existing business tax account However, when I log in my current account, I cannot find any button to add a sole tradership?
Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 12:31:22 GMT by SKL111
Hello? Can someone answer this?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 09:24:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You would register as Self-Employed, the UTR will stay the same.
If you have been unable to register contact us online using 'Ask HMRC Online' and ask to speak with an adviser:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 14:54:00 GMT by SKL111
Hello HMRC Admin 8 , thank you for your reply. Does it mean that I should open a separate account for Self-Employed, in addition to my existing account for self assessment by using the same UTR?
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:16:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi SKL111,
You have one UTR.
When you complete your Self Asessment tax return  you just need to tailor your return at section 3 to show the different types of income that you receive.
Thank you, 
Posted Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:14:13 GMT by SKL111
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.