Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 13:12:21 GMT by walun
Hi, I registered for self-assessment and obtained a UTR number. However, I found out that I am not a UK resident in 2021-2022 after going through the Statutory Residence Test (SRT). Do I need to inform HMRC about it? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 12:19:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You will as you may have already been sent a tax return that you now do not need to complete and it will need to be cancelled.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Jan 2023 11:38:00 GMT by walun
Thank you very much. I have not sent a tax return yet. May I ask how do I cancel the self -assessment registration please? Can I cancel it online? Many thanks!
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 11:41:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

At the end of the criteria tool there is an option to submit an online form :

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return    .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:51:33 GMT by Ozwald
Hi The indicator tool says you need to fill in a SA if you earn over £100k. Is this arising in the UK or equivalent on all overseas earnings too?
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:22:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ozwald,

If you are tax resident in the UK, it is your worldwide income.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.