Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 14 Mar 2023 20:29:46 GMT by Ron
Hi I have accounts in an overseas bank which I jointly hold with my wife. Actually the money in the accounts is entirely mine and all remittances to the UK from that account are done to my account in the UK which is in only my name. Since we are both going to be UK tax residents and claiming the Remittance basis, should my wife also do the self assessment and report 50% of the remittances from the overseas account (being joint) while I report the other 50%. Can I report the entire 100% Remittance on my self assesement. In this case will she still need to do her self assessment since I am claiming the entire remittance and paying tax on it. Thanks 
Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 08:10:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ron,

As the account is in joint names, you should declare 50/50.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.