Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 14 Oct 2022 13:59:44 GMT by ZIELU95
I am a tax resident in England, but I am a foreigner, do I need to complete a self assessment for the tax year 2021-2022 if I have sold my crypto assets at a lower price than I bought / at a loss? ( I am not self-employed )
Posted Tue, 18 Oct 2022 10:47:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You do not have to report Capital Gains Tax losses to HMRC. 

If you choose to do so, you can do this by declaring the losses in your self assessment tax return. 

If you do not complete a self assessment tax return, you can declare the losses in writing. 

Further information can be found at :

Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.