Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Dec 2022 11:18:24 GMT by Gihefcé
A French national, I live in Spain and pay income tax in Spain on all my earnings except UK property Do I need to fill in a complete return including all my earnings internationally or only the UK Property section?
Posted Thu, 05 Jan 2023 11:07:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You only need to declare the rental income but you will also need to complete the SA109 residence section.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:58:50 GMT by anderssummers
Would he need to pay tax on the UK rental to the Spanish tax authorities or to HMRC? thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:45:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi anderssummers,

Possibly both. as a UK property, the income must be declared to the UK but if tax resident in Spain, they also have the right to tax the income. 

Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:22:56 GMT by Gihefcé
Thanks every one for your help; I also managed after many unsuccessful attempts to speak to someone in HMRC. @anderssummers I declare it in Spain but the tax I paid in UK is deductible from my Spanish taxes. JFC

You must be signed in to post in this forum.