Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 Jan 2023 17:25:03 GMT by
Hello, I’ve submitted a repayment request at 26 Nov 2022 and is still pending. I’ve received a security checks letter which I replied to and it has been collected at 19th Jan. Could anyone tell me how long it usually takes to process these security checks?
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 12:16:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

We would not be able to give a timescale for this as there are different timescales for departments within HMRC.

You will need to contact our helpline :

Self Assessment: general enquiries    .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 13:15:29 GMT by
A tax return has been submitted to HMRC in November 2022. Two subsequent requests for repayments have been submitted to HMRC but on 1st February I am still waiting for the repayment. Just called the helpline and they were unable to help and had to seek further assistance and then after 45 minutes on the call I was cut off with a message saying "Thanks for calling HMRC, Goodbye!" - Now I will have to call again and wait 20minutes for someone to pick up the phone to go through the whole process again. It bemuses me how tax does have to be taxing!
Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 05:42:45 GMT by
I have had exactly the same problem. I submitted my tax return on time, and then realised that you had not sent my repayment automatically as you had done in previous years. I requested a repayment on February 14. It is still pending. After several calls to 0300 200 3600. and several failed attempts to get through to 0300 200 3610 (gave up after being on hold for an nearly an hour), I am wondering what I can do to sort out this problem. If this is a general problem with your website, I hope someone is making an effort to fix it?
Posted Thu, 06 Apr 2023 13:32:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Wendy,

If the repayment has not gone through you need to speak with our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 03:28:53 GMT by
I submitted my self assesment April 22nd and it is still appearing as repayment pending in the app. I have contacted Hmrc several times so I am aware the money is going through additional checks however iv received no letters regarding security checks. I’d be more than happy to provide additional information of Hmrc were to send me the letter. As far as I am concerned Hmrc are withholding my money from me and iv contacted my local mp
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 11:19:54 GMT by
I applied for a tax refund online on 11/05/2023. It said that I would be contacted by 04/06/2023. This didn't happen. Tried the online assistant, but just went round in circles, so in desperation I rang the 03002003300 (self assessment line is closed until September !!!) number, only to be told to try the online assistant. This is not good enough. I need this money to pay bills, I am liable to be homeless before HMRC decide to open the SE helpline again. Please can someone help ?
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:15:10 GMT by
Hi I submitted my return on the 6th of May 2023 Spoke with one of the hmrc team an they said I would receive payment by the 20th of June but still no payment an now no way of getting hold of the hmrc due to closer on the app it doesn’t really help an getting no where with this
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:50:28 GMT by
Hi Admin, I submitted a self assessment tax return on the 3rd/05/2023. My account “STILL says “Bank Repayment Pending”. Every time I call up HMRC, I have to wait over an hour and if by the grace of God I “DO” manage to get through, a HMRC employee always tells me something different from the previous person that I had spoken to regarding the same issue. Can someone please look into my issue and tell me exactly how long do I have to wait for something that should have only taken a few days?
Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 10:13:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Amy Wells,

When the repayment is reviewed if we require any further information you will receive a letter.

We cannot comment on the current position as we cannot access your record from this forum. You will need to contact our Self Assessment team by webchat if you have any further query.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 13:10:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Keanodog,

If you use the online digital assistant and type "Self Assessment refund", once, it gives you the estimated timescales.

You can also type "adviser" and this will try and put you through to a webchat adviser if available.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:46:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Romeo Santiago,
If the repayment is still pending it will have been selected for additional security checks.
The current timescale for these checks is 10 weeks.
If you wish to query this further you will need to contact our Self Assessment Team by webchat:
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 10:05:34 GMT by
Same story as above! I've been waiting since 6th April. Yes I submitted my return bang on time. Telephoned the 'help' line on 22/5 and 8/6 and both times told it was going thru 'subject to security'. On June 8th after 75 mins on hold I was told that there's a note on the file that I am 'of no interest'. Tried again on 26/6 to find that the line is closed till Sept 4th!! Broken Britain at its worst. for the last four years the average time from claim to bank credit has been 10 calendar days! I have contacted my MP who says she will contact HMRC for me. Fingers crossed. Additionally I've been unable to get in to my personal account because the activation code generator seems to be broken till Sept also? Just on hold now for the 0300 200 3600 number but after 30 mins no luck. Replies saying contact the Self Assesment team are having a laugh?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.