Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 11 Jun 2023 10:26:40 GMT by Sung Hee Andy Luk
Dear Sir/Madam, I moved to UK since Oct 2022 and started working remotely in UK for a Hong Kong company as freelance contract from Oct to Dec 2022. Payment was made to my Hong Kong bank account by the HK company. Now I am unemployed. When I would like to apply self-assessment and split year treatment via HRMC online system. Do I select "Register if you're not self-employed" from the options and then register via SA1 from ? After having the UTR, Can I proceed to the Tax Return by SA103S , SA109 and etc ?
Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:18:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sung Hee Andy Luk,
Once you have the UTR, you can do the  tax return.
SA109 cannot be done online with HMRC software and you will need to purchase 3rd party or submitt all of the return in paper form.
Self Assessment commercial software suppliers
Thank you 

Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 20:33:22 GMT by Sung Hee Andy Luk
Can I register for Self Assessment using form SA1 instead of using business tax account for Class 2 National Insurance ?
Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:12:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Sung Hee Andy Luk,

There are three options for registering for self assessment -
one is for registering as self employed, so that National insurance can be applied. This also applies to registering for a partnership.  
The later is for individuals to register as not self employed.  
You can do this at Register for Self Assessment.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:49:30 GMT by Sung Hee Andy Luk
In my case, Can I register as Not self-employed ? Thanks you
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 20:06:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sung Hee Andy Luk,
Freelance is normally self employment as you are working for yourself providing a service.
Thamk you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.