Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:23:06 GMT by bwh
If you work as a freelancer and earn income from more than one type of work under your own name, do you need to enter the different types of work as separate self-employed businesses on the form, or do you enter them as one business because they are all carried out under your own name and do not have separate business names?
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:50:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi bwh,

As you have 3 different trades, you will need 3 different sets of business accounts and when tailoring your return, you will need to select 'yes' to self employment and select '3' for "How many self-employed businesses did you have".  
You then need to report each business separately, which is why you need separate business accounts for each trade.  
You can find guidance notes at Self employment (short) notes (2022)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.