Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Mar 2022 22:30:24 GMT by Dominic Morgan
I completed my request for removal from self assessment form online on 28th Jan. I only completed it because I claimed child benefit, which no longer happens. The progress tracker on my HMRC account stops at 18th Feb as the estimated completion, and there is a message saying it's taking longer than usual. However, I've just been sent a message saying I've been fined £100 for not completing a self assessment form. Does anyone know what's going on? Will I have to pay the fine?
Posted Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:43:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If the form hasn't been reviewed yet then the penalty would still be due, our Self Assessment department can review this if you contact them :

Self Assessment: general enquiries     .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:50:51 GMT by Dominic Morgan
I contacted HMRC by phone and the penalty is being removed and I am being removed from self assessment. I'm not sure why the department that sends out fines works so much quicker than the department that reviews self assessment removal forms though.
Posted Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:55:17 GMT by Tuna Acciaioli
Hello - today I received a £1,300 fine for late filing of Self Assessment return, even though my only source of income is my salary. HMRC never sent me any letters prior to this. The gov.uk website says I only need to file SA if I am self employed or have other income. I am in a real panic as I cannot afford this fine and don’t know what to do. Please can you help?
Posted Tue, 20 Sep 2022 13:52:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are unsure why we have requested the tax return, you will need to speak with our SA department :

Self Assessment: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.