Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:00:45 GMT by Agger05
Dear Sir/Madam, My mother needs to do a tax return so I am helping her to register the online self assessment. She has just arrived the UK last year and has never registered an account at Gateway before. After setting up her email account and mobile phone number, it comes to the ID verification part. I have entered her information 3 times and it all said the information not matching that in the system. I did not carry on as only 2 chances left. I am sure the information I have entered are correct, and not sure why the system keeps saying that they are not matching (and I think my mother did not register any of her information to the HMRC system before). Please advise what what should I do now or where could I write an enquiry form online for my mother's case. Thank you very much. Kind Regards
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:08:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 17
Hi,

If it is saying the details dont match, we may hold some details incorrectly, these can be updated by our helpline or by writing to us.

If we need to make changes, you can try the verification again after 72 hours.

See link:

Change your address and personal details    .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:50:19 GMT by ac88james
I have the same problem. Entered my name, date of birth and National Insurance number and it says details dont match. What can I do now? I am stuck . Called the telephone number and waited on hold for 30 minutes but no one responded.
Posted Sun, 01 May 2022 15:08:46 GMT by Agger05
Hi Admin, I am wondering if a National Insurance number is a required to register the online self-assessment tax return. As my mother is retired so she did not apply a NINO since she arrived the UK last year. This may be the reason why she could not register successfully the online tax return yet. Please review and advise. Thank you very much. Kind Regards.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 11:16:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Agger05,

A National Insurance Number would be required to register for the Government Gateway,
if she does not have this a paper return would need to be completed. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.