Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Sep 2022 15:47:54 GMT by Samantha Westwood
I had a demand for the full £5000 to be repaid back in June. I appealed by letter with proof of tax return and earnings not entered or stored correctly on the HMRC system after advice from your representative. I heard nothing. So I phoned again after 3 weeks, worried about the silence and was told to submit an 'overpayment relief claim', so I did. I heard nothing again. The website at the time said appeals were being processed during July and I'd hear by 8 August. Nothing. Then I received a demand for a penalty on non payment of the repayment amount last week, so now I owe even more! I've tried to call for days but can't get through. There's nothing on the website about it anymore. I'm really worried as it's a lot of money and it's growing!! I never would have claimed it if I thought I wasn't allowed - I wish I never had now. I now am employed part time and was self employed until that started in July this year, but I would still retain that status if I can take on more self employed work as well, can't I? I can't understand why I'm being prosecuted? Please help!
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 09:34:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Samantha Westwood, 

It is unclear if you have received a letter and assessment asking to repay the grant, or you did not include self-employed details in your completed  tax return. 

If you did not include a self-employment page for 2020-21, then the SEISS grant is treated as incorrectly claimed.

If you were self-employed you should amend your return online and add a self-employment page.  

When the return is amended the penalty will be cancelled automatically.

If you were not self-employed during 2020-21, then the grant is incorrectly claimed and you should contact Debt Management & Banking requesting time to pay.

You can contact them here: 

you cannot pay your tax bill on time

I  would also suggest you call HMRC again to check your appeal against the penalty has been received.  

Contact details here: 

Self Assessment: general enquiries

You can also find guidance here: 

Check if you need to change your Self Assessment return for SEISS

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.