Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 16 Jan 2023 14:21:59 GMT by Justin Joyce
Hi, I must enter dividends received on my self assessment form. However I do not know if these dividends should go in the dividends from UK section or the dividends from foreign companies section. The shares in question are for a company that has its global HQ in the UK, but this company is also registered also as a subsidary of one with a similar name registered in Jersey, and the shares I have are traded in the on the New York exchange in the US. So does this count as a foreign or UK company for self assessment purposes? I just need to have this question answered then I can submit my sa return. Thanks
Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:27:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Justin Joyce,

If the dividends are paid to you in sterling they are UK.
If paid in any other currency they are foreign and you will declare on the foreign section with the amount converted to sterling.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.