Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 24 Nov 2022 03:54:41 GMT by Mitrofan Smirnov
Hi there! I am an up and coming business (sole trader), and I am in charge of my own music/entertainment business. As far as I understand it is not a legal requirement to invoice customers unless you are VAT registered. However, I wish to invoice my customers so that I can keep better records of what I am doing, as well as provide them with evidence of my services. I'm well aware that invoices must include your company name, address and contact information. However, I am based at my home address, and I do not wish to give this out to all my customers for privacy/security reasons. Correspondence with HMRC is already tied to my home address, and this is okay. But, I do not want every customer to know where I live through the information on my invoices for online sales or live performances. What can I do to avoid this situation, can I use a PO box or a virtual address? If so, does this other address have to also match the one that I have given on my Self Assessment contact details, or can it be different? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 25 Nov 2022 15:00:34 GMT by
Hi Mitrofan Smirnov,

You can find guidance for sole traders at:

Invoicing and taking payment from customers

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:59:42 GMT by Mitrofan Smirnov
Hi there, Unfortunately this does not answer my questions. I have read through the guidance on that page many times. However, it does not answer whether I can use a different address from the one I am registered for self assessment with. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 29 Nov 2022 15:26:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The guidance on invoices and what is required can be found at :

Invoicing and taking payment from customers .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.