Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 29 Nov 2022 07:59:28 GMT by Mariestacey19
I am a uk employee resident in the uk who has RSU shares vested in USA. Last years p60 includes the shares vested and I also have a payslip been produced for the relevant month they vested. For example my payslip shows RSU federal income approx £13,000. The uk tax and employees and employers nic has been calculated approx £6300 deducted and I also have a negative deduction of approx £-6200 RSU tax withheld against this. I have spoken with HMRC on the phone who said I should claim foreign tax relief on my self assessment. However, I have received conflicting information I have also been told not to claim foreign tax relief as it has been dealt with through payroll. Please can you confirm if I should be claiming foreign tax relief through my self assessment? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 08:58:32 GMT by Andrew Williams

It would normally be claimed as Foreign Tax Credit Relief. However, if the witheld tax of £6200 has been deducted from your gross pay before the UK tax is calculated, then you will have aleady had the relevant relief.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.