Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 07 Feb 2023 13:27:54 GMT by Stephen Williams
Hi, I'm registed for Self-Assessment, employed (pay tax via PAYE), have submitted my return for YE 22, but also want submit returns for prior years YE 21, YE22 in order claim tax relief on pension contributions paid after tax. These years have not been requested by HMRC and thus don't appear in "Tax Return Options" or "More Self-Assessment Options". Can I submitt returns for these prior years online, or do I have to file a paper return. Thanks in advance.
Posted Mon, 13 Feb 2023 12:41:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will not be able to submit tax returns online for tax years we are not looking for a return.  

Please write to us providing a breakdown of each years pension payments, with supporting eveidence, as advised by your pension provider. Your personal pension relief claim can be dealt with outside of Self Assessment. The address to write to is:


Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.