Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Oct 2022 18:02:19 GMT by Nicole Cheung
Hi officer 1. I would like to ask how to calculate my HK employment income as we were paid in Hong Kong dollar and we have to write our income in Pounds on the form SA102. 2. I arrived in the UK and got my home on 12 Aug 2021. I worked for a HK company until July 2021 and got a full time job in the UK since 15 Nov 2021 until present. May I know what cases of split year treatment apply to my situation and what is the start date of my split year treatment? And how to calculate the number of days spent in the UK during 2021-2022? 3. For form SA106, which part should I fill-out for HK employment income only? Appreciate for your help Kind regards, Nicole
Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:22:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Nicole Cheung,
You will be able to find the official rates of exchage to use at :  .

 You have 3 option. 

The monthly average, the spot rate and the annual averge rate.

You are free to choose which ever option is best for you. 

Guidance on residence, domicile and remittance can be found  at :

Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1   .

 You will need to apply the residency tests to determine if you are deemed a UK resident for the whole tax year and whether split year treatment is appropriate. 

If you are resident in the UK for the full tax year for tax purposes, then you will need to complete a self assessment tax return (SA100)
and all relevant supplementary pages appropriate to your sources of income. 

If you need to register for self assessment, you can do this at :

Register for Self Assessment .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.