Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:03:22 GMT by P Turner
I'm new to self assessment, and completed my 2021/2022 assessment up to the final calculation section. I am an employee and pay tax under PAYE. I pay into a company stakeholder pension so 20% tax relief is payed into my pension. for 2022/2021, I should be able to claim a small amount of 40% tax relief which is not payed into my pension. In the self assessment tax return there was nowhere to enter my pension contribution details to allow 40% tax relief to be calculated. In the section "Did you make contributions towards a personal pension or retirement annuity? This does not include payments you make to your employer's pension scheme, which are deducted from your pay:" I answered no. Should I have answered yes as it is a stakeholder type pension run through a company scheme? Any help appreciated.
Posted Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:34:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You will need to tailor your return at section 3 and answer yes to the question - Did you make contributions towards a personal pension or retirement annuity?

This does not include payments you make to your employer's pension scheme, which are deducted from your pay.

This then opens other boxes for you to enter the amount .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.