Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 May 2022 22:54:12 GMT by C K Chow
Assuming I am eligible for split-year treatment as a new UK employed tax resident in 2021/22, when using “Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return”, do we only provide answers based on the UK part of the split year? Secondly, one of the questions asks “Do you need to pay tax on income from outside the UK?”. If, during the UK part of the split year, there is little income that is within the relevant allowance, should we answer ‘No” to this question? Finally, if the result shows that I do not need to register for self assessment, do we still need to register for self assessment with the aim to claim split-year treatment?
Posted Fri, 13 May 2022 11:53:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You would be answering the questions based on the UK part of the year if you qualify for split year.
The answers for foreign income are before any allowances are taken into account.
If you do not meet the criteria for self assessment then you will not need to use this to claim split year.
This will automatically be done through your employment. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.