Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 Jan 2023 02:00:34 GMT by Nemosaid
I'm a self employed writer. I work from home - parents' house. I'm fairly sure my parents house counts as my home. I have no other and I treat it as such. I'm tax resident in the UK. For 3 months I lived in Spain, rented an apartment and worked from home in Spain. Can I claim home office expenses like I would if I rented an apartment in a UK city for 3 months? Just to make clear. I'm not looking to claim travel expenses. This wasn't a research or business trip. I didn't choose Spain because of my writing. I chose it because I simply wanted to live and work there for a few months. I didn't use the space wholly for work. Just like when I've lived in a UK city before. I work in the living room and calculated the amount of time it was an "office".
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 11:39:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would claim expenses in the same way as you would if you were in the UK. You can see guidance about simplified expenses and cash basis below:

BIM75010 - Simplified expenses: use of home for business purposes

BIM42115 - Deductions - scope of: apportionment of expense

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.