Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 May 2023 11:18:15 GMT by Clare
I read the other threads on this but there was conflicting information so I thought I would confirm. I'm a UK tax resident, and the other country has no CGT. From what I understand, I don't need to fill out SA106 if: - your only foreign income is dividends - your total dividends - including UK dividends - are less than the £2,000 dividend allowance - you have no other income to report I only received 500 in dividends from foreign and UK sources. I have no other foreign income - from what I understand of what constitutes foreign income. However, I disposed of a foreign share for over 2k (total gain of
Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 07:30:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Please refer to the following link: 
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 08:15:01 GMT by Clare
Not sure why my comment got cut off but it said 'total gain of (under)£1000', and there was more after. the arrow symbol broke the code. Please reread my post again. I know I have to fill in the Self Assessment as I'm UK resident/domiciled and self-employed... I was asking whether I have to fill in the supplementary SA106 page (NOT SA100) and whether the foreign capital gain counts as 'foreign income'? OR can I just fill out the main SA100 document with: - £500 dividends under the foreign dividends section - share sale (1k gain) under the CGT section? Just repeating my initial post but hopefully someone can provide some insight.
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 14:12:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Clare,

The foreign section (sa106) covers all types of foreign income and gains.  

Capital gains and Income tax are two separate taxes and are calculated separately.  

If the combined sum of your UK dividends and foriegn dividends is below £2000.00, you can declare the foreign dividend in box 4 of SA100.  

If you want to claim a foreign tax credit against the foreign dividends, then you need to declare the foreign dividend in SA106 instead.  It is the same with interest at box 3 of sa100.  

Have a look at the guidance on capital gains tax, as it equally applies to foreign capital gains -

Capital Gains Tax

All parts of a capital gains calculation on the disposal of a foreign asset, must be in pounds sterling, using the official exchange rate in place at the time.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 08:43:42 GMT by Clare
Thank you, that has answered my question.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.