Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 06 Mar 2022 16:16:35 GMT by Zabe Regala
Good afternoon, My accountant has been submitting self assessment tax returns for me for several years. I have been working as a seafarer and because I fulfilled certain criteria, I have been eligible for the Seafarers Earnings Deduction (SED) during this time. During this past tax year (2021 - 2022) my working situation was altered and I now believe I should submit my earnings for this tax year as a self-employed person rather than as an employed seafarer. My question is, should I register myself online as self-employed prior to my accountant submitting my tax return in April, or should I ask him to register me as self-employed at the same time as he submits the return? Thank you
Posted Mon, 07 Mar 2022 12:33:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Seafarers earnings are normally for employees so if you do not qualify for the seafarers deduction then you would just enter your income as an employee as per your P60. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.