Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 13 Oct 2022 23:12:56 GMT by hip007
Hi , I registered for a UTR by post and instead of waiting 10 days, i ended up having to wait almost 3 weeks for a response. The response itself claimed that my address was wrong and after chatting with an agent online it was finally corrected and i was told to wait another 3 weeks to finally/hopefully get my I have coupke of issues i would love some help with : 1) since the 31st OCT is the deadline for HMRC receiving Self-assessment documents by post,i doubt i can make the deadline. The penalties seem draconian too... 2) Also...i need to leave the country by 28th NOV for an indefinite amount of time...if there are any documents/penalties for late payment sent to me by post right before or after this date....there is no way for me to know and the penalty would accumulate right? there a way for HMRC to send me stuff by email rather than post...surely this is not asking much? I can't register for UTR / Self-assessment online since i do not have the required documents. Help please!
Posted Mon, 17 Oct 2022 12:58:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please call self assessment help line 0300 200 3310 for confirmation of your UTR number. 

You can appeal late filing / late payment penalties once the tax return is submitted to HMRC. 

The form SA370 can be found at 

When leaving the United Kingdom, please complete online form P85. 

It is your reponsibility to ensure that HMRC has the correct address for correspondence on record. 

Should your address change, please let HMRC know at the earliest opportunity. 

HMRC do not correspond by email, as this service is not secure enough for personal infomation.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.