Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:04:27 GMT by
My husband was self assessment for a couple of years as the company he worked for required it. In October 2018 he got employment where he paid PAYE and NI through his wages. He had someone complete the 2018/19 self assessment form and then contacted HMRC in the beginning of May 2019 to let them know his circumstances - I can see this on his HMRC notifications. We didn't think anything of it until we received at the weekend a letter saying he owed over £3,000 which was all penalties. We checked his emails and he had nothing but for some reason my email had a few notifications which had all gone to spam. I have no idea why I would receive his notifications and could not see my email address anywhere on his account. We have now completed the Self Assessment forms for 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2022/23 but there wasn't one showing for 2021/22. Surely letting HMRC know in 2019 that he was no longer self employed and HMRC receiving his Tax and NI from the new employer (this came up automatically when filling out the Self Assessments) this would be enough to not request self assessment forms to be completed?
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 11:24:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ozzie81,

The record does not always automatically close upon completing the return, there are a few boxes that can keep the record open even if there is no ongoing criteria.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.