Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 24 May 2022 21:49:18 GMT by sanbar
Hi, my relation aged 80 years moved from overseas to live in the UK. They are not UK nationals and have been living abroad all their life. They have been allotted a UTR number but dont have a NI number as they are retired and have no intention to work in the UK. How do they apply for a NI number so that they can file their self assessment online to HMRC? They do not have any income in the UK but have overseas income of more than £2,500. Any help will be much appreciated.
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 07:24:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions as they deal with National Insurance number registrations:

Apply for a National Insurance number

Thank you,


You must be signed in to post in this forum.