Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 09 Sep 2022 10:59:41 GMT by nickkaz
I'm a non-resident landlord of property I rent out in the UK. Rental income is my only income in the UK. I pay my UK taxes annually by sending a Self Assessment tax return (SA100) along with forms SA109 (residence, remittance basis etc) and R43 (personal allowance claim). In order to credit the tax paid in the UK, tax authorities in my country require a "certificate which proves the amount of tax paid" in the UK, which also must be legalised properly (Apostille stamp). My questions are: a) I only receive my tax bill annually with the amount of tax that has to be paid. Is there any other type of special certificate I can apply for, which specifically states the amount of tax paid? b) If not, only HMRC documents that have an actual paper signature can lawfully be legalised (receive the Apostille stamp). My annual tax bill is of course digitally issued and does not have an actual signature, in order to receive the Apostille stamp. If that's the case, what type of legalised HMRC document can I provide to the tax authorities of my country in order prove the tax paid in the UK? Thanks a lot in advance!
Posted Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:08:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please note that form SA302 - issued when you  submit each year's self assessment tax return - is an official HMRC tax calculation that
confirms how much UK tax you paid in that year.

However it does not bear the Apostile stamp.

Apostile requests are not dealt with by HMRC, but by the Foreign And Commonwealth Office, who charge for the service.

For further information please refer to:

Get your document legalised     .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:55:41 GMT by nickkaz
Thank you for your response. I am aware that SA302 does not bear the Apostille stamp, but I ultimately have to produce some kind of official UK tax document/certificate, which indeed bears it. To my knowledge documents that do not bear a wet ink signature, such as SA302, cannot be legalised (I'll contact the Legalisation office about that though). My question is if another kind of certificate/document can be issued by HMRC, which: a) officially proves the amount of tax paid in the UK and b) has a wet ink signature, so it can subsequently be legalised. Thanks again!
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 10:34:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi nickkaz,

You can ask for a manual statement letter and specify that it must have a wet signature for the Apostille.
You can telephone for this on 0300 200 3300.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 11:30:36 GMT by nickkaz
Thanks a lot for the response. Should I apply for that "manual statement letter" after SA302 has been issued for the relevant tax year? Or should I apply for it when I file my Self Assessment? Bear in mind that I cannot use any HMRC online service, because I have to send the Self Assessment by post as a non-resident landlord ( ) . I see the telephone number you kindly provided to me is the HMRC's general contact number, is there anything more specific or a department which deals with that? An email address would greatly be appreciated too. Again, thanks a lot for all the great help!
Posted Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:19:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi nickkaz,

It depends on what information you need on the statement.
If you need the 2021/22 information you will need to wait until the return has been submitted and processed.
There is only a general number that we can provide for you to call and we do not reply by email.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.