Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:46:15 GMT by fryderykchopin
I work as an academic at a UK university. Last year I was invited to be external examiner for a PhD thesis at another university and I was paid an examination fee of £150 subject to 20% income tax, so I received £120 in my bank account. My HMRC personal tax account shows this other university as a second employer with a tax code BR, hence the 20% tax deduction. However, I'm a higher rate taxpayer so I should pay 40% income tax on the examination fee that I received, rather than the default 20%. How can I do this in my self assessment? Thank you
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:54:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You can update this by accessing the PAYE section on the Personal Tax Account and updating your estimated income.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.