Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 09 Jan 2023 12:39:10 GMT by Shellie44 L
I am really confused about the pensions part of Self assessment when completing for High income Child benefit. I use the total pay details from my p60 so haven't included work pension payments as I believe the p60 deducts but have read that I should include as a high earner I could be due some tax relief on this, what do I do?
Posted Mon, 09 Jan 2023 14:47:34 GMT by prodigymad
I think this depends on whether your pension contributions are taken before tax by your employer - if they are then you already have tax relief on them. If you pay pension separately, such as via net pay then these may be liable for exclusion in the self assessment. I found this page useful:
Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 15:25:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Shellie44 L,

You should check if the pension contributions are deducted before or after tax.

If they are deducted after tax you can claim tax relief on this.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 09:43:19 GMT by Shellie44 L
I am talking in reference to this statement: If you’re a higher rate taxpayer, you can claim further tax relief (at your higher rate) from HMRC. This is usually claimed through your self-assessment tax return. Or you can contact HMRC direct if you don’t usually complete a tax return. This means that if you pay income tax at 40%, you could claim an extra £20 tax relief. This makes the cost of a £100 contribution into your pension £60 to you – £20 claimed by your pension provider and £20 reclaimed by you.
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:44:50 GMT by Gerhard Kristandl
I am confused about this, too. To me it seems that there is nowhere to input an adjusted net income, and all explanations on GOV.UK are not very helpful.
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:35:26 GMT by Mike Oxbig
I'm also confused about this. Some of the advice online is you can offset pension amount and then you can't.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.