Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 14 Dec 2021 13:56:52 GMT by Redletter
Hi, I registered for self assessment last year in anticipation of crossing the £1000 business income threshold. However, I was injured shortly after this and could not continue, and because of this didn't make it over that threshold for the tax year. I have since started different self-employed work that will take me over the £1000 income but that won't be relevant until the next tax cycle. So my question is: do multiple, seperate self-employed businesses require setting up different self-employed accounts or can this all be declared on the same form? Should I fill out a self-assessment form even though it comes under £1000 for the year or do I need to do something else? Also, do I need to contact HMRC to say that I no longer work the first job and work a different self-employed job instead, or do they all get lumped together (so if I was working 3 self-employed jobs with different incomes, would I fill out the combined income from all 3 on the same self-assessment form)? Sorry for my ignorance, I've never had to fill one out before so I don't know what I'm doing at all.
Posted Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:54:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 30

When completing the SA return, if done online it will ask how many self employments you have.

If you do different types of work you complete a different self employed page for each.

You can either complete the return or request we withdraw the return if you are below the £1,000 allowance.

Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 08 Oct 2022 16:16:26 GMT by Veronica Kwok
May I ask if the case I haven't made any income from my hobby business at start up, it incurred some tiny expenses for the year, should I just fill the figure in SA103s? By the way, I would like to make the voluntary class 2 national insurance contribution, should I fill up the self-employment (short) and to mark "x" in box 36?
Posted Thu, 13 Oct 2022 14:07:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Veronicca Kwok 

If you have not received any income and have incurred expenses, you will most likely be in a loss making situation.  
By completing the self employment supplementary page, you can declare the loss and carry the loss forward indefinitely, or until you are able to set it against a future profit.  
You can also tick the box to choose to pay class 2 NICs voluntarliy, by ticking box 36.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.