Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 22 May 2022 20:30:44 GMT by phebas
I wish to ship a cherry picker bought at auction from GB to N. Ireland. I'm buying for personal use in N. Ireland and not as a business but the shipper tells me I need to use the TSS route which involves making an END and SFD and then cancelling them. Surely such complexity is unnecessary for personal use?
Posted Tue, 24 May 2022 07:54:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please see below GOV.UK guidance which advises what is required for moving goods GB to NI  :

Trading and moving goods in and out of Northern Ireland    .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 May 2022 08:48:49 GMT by Customs oldtimer
All goods that go to NI from the UK need to be declared for import in NI as a result of the NI protocol. There isn't really any distinction between private goods and commercial goods, although a private importer doesn't need some of the registrations required for a commercial operator. There are also some simplifications for low value goods and goods you are transporting yourself ( known as merchandise in baggage). The haulier/ shipper is required to follow certain procedures before they are allowed to board the ferry. TSS is one option but you can also request that a customs agent completes a declaration for you. Your haulier may work with particular providers so its worth asking them first. Alternatively HMRC publish a list of agents or you can find them by running a internet search for customs clearance services.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.