Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:04:54 GMT by Donna Nicoll
I'm a UK citizen who lives in the EU. When I set up my account in 2019 I still had a UK number. I forgot to change it to my EU one before the account was closed as I forgot to top it up last year. I now can't sign into my Government account because of the two-factor authentication for the old number. I tried to do the VERIFY using my old UK address (I still own the house), but of course it won't work because the address that HMRC have for me (and what is on the accounts) is my EU one! Of course, there's no chance of getting through to anyone on the Webchat as all advisors are always busy - even first thing in the morning! So, how exactly am I supposed to access my account to change the number if I can't speak to someone via the chat?
Posted Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:01:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Donna Nicoll,

This can only be updated by contacting our Online Services Helpdesk using the options on this link:

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.