Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 11 May 2021 11:30:43 GMT by
There appear to be a reasonable number of people who, through no fault of their own, cannot access the online services offered by HMRC, merely because they have no UK address. As a UK citizen living abroad, in order to get any information at all regarding my tax and pension affairs my only recourse is to use a phone. What exactly is the issue with giving ex-UK tax payers who can be adequately verified using personal information, NI numbers, etc, access to online services?
Posted Wed, 19 May 2021 12:26:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You need to have a government gateway user id and password. 

If you do not have one you can create new one.

To be able to pass the identity verification process you will need:
•    your National Insurance number
•    a recent payslip or P60 or a valid UK passport

If you cannot pass the identity verification question then you need to use the get help option at the bottom of the page giving details of what the error message is, and the digital team will reply: 
Get help with this page

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 May 2021 22:46:07 GMT by
My wife and I both already have a UK gateway user ID and password. The information you have given is correct, however, the final part of the ID verification involves the use of two forms of UK information, one of which is a UK address (The other is a UK credit check, which again does not apply). Without a UK address we cannot get through the process. This was the whole point of my message which you have not addressed. So my question still stands, what exactly is the issue with giving ex-UK tax payers who can be adequately verified using personal information, NI numbers, etc, access to online services? Please address this specific question, because we can pass all other ID requirements apart from the UK address requirement.
Posted Tue, 22 Jun 2021 09:39:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 9
Hi,

If you cannot pass the verification question or get an error unable to verify your identity, then you need to use the option at the bottom of the page providing details of what the error message is, what they are trying to do and the digital team will reply .

Get help with this page

Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:33:13 GMT by
Like some others, it seems, I live overseas. I am trying to get myself a State Pension forecast. This requires me to set up an account. Trying to get a Government Gateway one set up, I am left having to provide a UK address - which I don't have. On this web page: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/mdtp/we-need-to-check-your-identity I am told I need name, DoB, NI number - got those; and a postcode - do NOT have one of those as I live in the USA. There is no visible "option at the bottom of the page" - also there is no error message - I just don't have a UK postcode. Try going round through GOV.UK Verify and rapidly get this message: "You won’t be able to use GOV.UK Verify. You need a current UK address to get your identity verified." So - like others before me - how do I get details on my State Pension from overseas??
Posted Mon, 24 Jan 2022 15:17:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You can find guidance on how to get a State Pension forecast here:

Check your State Pension forecast

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Feb 2022 20:21:59 GMT by Andrew Jeeves
I am non resident and do not have a uk address or driving licence this means I cannot get past the Government Gateway id check after creating a sign in, I am left having to provide a UK address - which I don't have. There is no visible "option at the bottom of the page" - also there is no error message - I just don't have a UK postcode. Try going round through GOV.UK Verify and rapidly get this message: "You won’t be able to use GOV.UK Verify. You need a current UK address to get your identity verified." Please explain how a non resident with a valid passport but no DVLA issued licence or UK postcode is supposed to use the UK sites, tried the credit report option as well but it also will only work if you have a valid UK address.
Posted Wed, 16 Feb 2022 11:56:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

When asking for your details, you usually get an option to enter your National Insurance number, and are normally
only asked about post code if you say that you are unable to provide it.

If the system does not ask for National Insurance number, and you are unable to provide a UK address you will not be able to verify for the account.

On most of the pages there is usually a 'get help with this page' link or a 'is this page not working properly' link where you can submit
a question to the digital support team.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:07:32 GMT by Andrew Jeeves
The system asks for a NI number which I do have, it is after that that it becomes impossible to use, it requires entry of your first and last name and DOB and then the NI number, the next page says You will be asked to give details about two items you may have, like your: UK passport, payslips or P60, Self Assessment, tax credits and Voice ID, Northern Ireland driving licence You may also be able to answer questions about your credit record. the page after that only shows 3 options, UK passport, credit record and Northern Ireland driving licence, for the credit reference you require a uk address and I dont have a NI driving licence... similar problems with GOV.UK Verify.. you get to proving ID and the system is set to only recognise UK addresses I have used the page is not working properly link but as this thread indicates mine is not an isolated issue.. it appears the site is not useable by UK citizens who are non resident and dont have a uk address.
Posted Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:30:07 GMT by Andrew Jeeves
Tried the Report a problem link the digital team say the site is working as designed and its not a technical issue, So back to square 1 non residents cannot use the site as it seems to be designed to exclude anyone who does not have a UK address. Digital team will not help. Any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 13:58:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Andrew Jeeves,

You are correct, most of the options provided rely on information that you'd only have if you lived in the UK.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Feb 2022 21:41:57 GMT by
So for the past 9 months since this thread started, those of us who live o/s still can't access the system. I have to ask, does the last message from HRMC, "You are correct, most of the options provided rely on information that you'd only have if you lived in the UK.", help any of us at all? No, it doesn't. I think what we are looking for is a solution for the issue, not a message confirming what we already know. HRMC would know that there will be people who need access from o/s, yet have designed a system that deliberately excludes us. So could HRMC explain to us what they intend to do to remedy this situation?
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:26:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Andrew Jeeves,

There is no other way to verify other than through the questions being asked, if you cannot answer using the options being provided you will not be able to verify for the account.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:21:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Steve,

We apologise if you found our response unhelpful, we can only comment on the system that is currently in place.

We do not have any information regarding potential changes to the online verification system.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 10 Mar 2022 12:30:31 GMT by
I was not given the full list of options. Is it possible to verify using services like GOV.UK VERIFY?
Posted Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:31:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi kwilkie

If you are not resident in the UK you will not be able to use gov.uk verify.

That service will no longer be available for HMRC services from 01/04/2022.

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:45:48 GMT by
Hi, I am not living in UK however I want to login to my HMRC portal, it is asking for access codes which I do not have. could any one advise how can I get that? Thanks Rohit
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 15:46:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi rgg44,

When being asked for the code, you would need to follow the option for not being able to provide the code, which would take you through additonal security in order to change the method you receive the code by.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 02 Apr 2022 05:26:30 GMT by
I'm not sure why HRMC keeps telling people they can access the portal when previously it has been stated that "If you are not resident in the UK you will not be able to use gov.uk verify." Does anyone from HRMC have any information about whether access to people living o/s is being considered at all, or are we being completely and deliberately ignored?
Posted Sat, 02 Apr 2022 15:00:23 GMT by Linda Urquhart
I'd like to share my experience with this issue to save others from wasting their time. My sister lives abroad and is due to start receiving her UK state pension soon. She paid in over £8,000 to top up her contributions and would like, not unreasonably, to check that this money has arrived in her HMRC account. Having tried several avenues, we now know that it is not possible for her to set up an online account without the required documents. So we had a bright idea: I applied for authorisation to access her HMRC record on her behalf. She was then invited to accept my request and guess what: she has to log in to her HMRC account to do this .... sigh .....

You must be signed in to post in this forum.