Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Jan 2023 16:08:24 GMT by
Hello, I was supposed to receive a cheque for a tax refund from HMRC on the 26th July 2022 it didn't arrive. I contacted HMRC who said a new cheque will be issued that never happened. I called again I was told the repayments team will be check and send out comms and today (15 Jan 2023) I get a letter from HMRC saying that the cheque has been cashed on the 23rd of Aug 2022. I didn't receive the cheque, I didn't cash this cheque nor did I receive any of the money so can only suspect fraud. Can someone advise on what to do in this situation? I have already reported this to the police.
Posted Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:14:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

If you did not cash the cheque you need to write to us confirming your full name, date of birth, whether you have ever lived at the address we sent the cheque to, whether the address we used is secure and the crime reference if you reported this to the police.

You can find how to contact us here:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 17 Jun 2023 17:06:13 GMT by lazamwa Jacob
Hi there, Can someone advise on this matter please, i have received a letter from HMRC and decided to contact them because in this letter HMRC wrote that they have sent a check of my annual tax refund to an accountant company that instructed HMRC that they represent me. I have never appointed any company to represent me. HMRC said to me that they won't be able to re issue the cheque and i need to contact the fraud team. is there any other ways for me to recover my money? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:52:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You can ask HMRC for a copy of the form that was received, and if you didnt sign the form you can report this to action fraud.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:49:45 GMT by
Hello Team, HMRC sent me a message in July that a check has been sent to me for my tax refund; it’s more than 6 weeks I have not received the check. I called last week, the staff that answered to my query said they wanted to find out with the bank if the check has been cashed out. This made me confuse: a check that was issued on my name, how can any body order than me cashed it out? Please enlighten me. That be aside, what can I do to escalate this. I have heavily relied on this refund to ease some of my expenses
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:15:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

HMRC have to carry out these checks before we can issue a replacement. Once we receive confirmation it has not been cashed we will issue another cheque.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:12:51 GMT by
Hello, I received a p800 back in October stating my refund been sent to a 3rd party company to this date I haven't received my refund or any correspondence from the company I've made over 500 phone calls to the company they don't answer their phones they don't respond to voicemails or anything. I've put in a report with action fraud on 14th December. What else can I do? I really need this money. Can hmrc tell me if the cheque has been cashed or not?
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 10:24:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Suzanne Bell

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing problems receiving your repayment from this 3rd party.
If you've contacted Action Fraud, the issue will now be being investigated by the police - you may wish to contact Action Fraud again to query the progress of this investigation.
We can confirm if the cheque has been issued to the 3rd party - contact us by webchat or phone via Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.