Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 06 Apr 2023 06:26:41 GMT by
I'd be interested to know why the tax office has now decided they need an extra year to calculate taxes for the year 2021-2022. Is it due to not enough staff. Or is it because (at least in my case) they owe me money! I'm not actually in the UK at the moment so does that also play a factor? I'm sure if I owed the tax office money they wouldn't wait nearly two years (assuming they do take until 05/04/2024 to process my tax return) to get it back. I've already lost a years worth of interest on money they are holding that I paid at the emergancy tax level.
Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 13:46:20 GMT by
I am in the similar situation as the originator of this post. HMRC aims to calculate my income tax for 2021-22 by April 5th 2024 whereas I am sure couple of weeks ago when I checked the status they were aiming for 5th of April 2023. I do not live in the UK any more and I also, as the originator, expect to get some money back. What is the reason for this delay?
Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 08:12:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Antony Rosser,

You will need to contact our Self Assessment team to progress chase your enquiry. 

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:41:55 GMT by
@Ilkka Savimaki You need to call them and discuss it with them. I did and after 45 minutes on the phone from Australia they sorted it out for me. Initially I was told the refund had been sent out but they double checked and fixed up the mistake. Sadly they insisted the refund has to be by cheque. Not much use to me when my bank here don't accept foreign currency cheques meaning I have to send it back to the UK and get it paid in to an account over there. Overall I was happy to get it sorted out and the guy I spoke to was really helpful. Sadly for a government department they are not very digitally minded.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 14:55:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi Ilkka Savimaki,
If you are referring to a non Self-Assessment tax calculation, we usually start these calculations from June following the end of the tax year.
You will need to contact our helpline if you are querying the progress of a calculation:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.