Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:49:30 GMT by andyhtt
Hoping someone can point me in the direction of how to best claim back a tax refund for a relative im helping They are retired, over 75, receive state pension and have received lump sum payments following partners death, all in last financial year. 1st lump sum was a trivial commutation of about £5k, which was taxed and the 2nd was a lump sum death benefit of over £100k, taxed at high rate. I have p45s for both. Which form should I be entering this into, none seem to be quite right? Or am I overthinking it and just need to enter the information for the latter payment, as the rest if on file anyway? I did try using the P50z, but it failed to generate the online form after entering the information.... And when asked if there is any income after the last employment, does the mean from the p45 date of the latter payment? One of the income options is state pension, so should I enter the amount she has received since the p45 date, or for the whole tax year? Finding it all a bit confusing, I've got all the figures and information needed, but cant find somewhere to enter it in to get the refund going. By my calculation theyre due about £11k back, so would be keen to get it progressing.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 14:28:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please see the following to determine if they were taxable. 

Tax on a private pension you inherit

If they are, then a Self Assessment Tax Return will be required as the taxable income will be over £100,000.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.