Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 15 Aug 2022 08:21:10 GMT by Moedeeb
I have been waiting over 4 months for a in year refund. Online form was correctly completed and after chasing up over phone was eventually sent a letter asking for a copy of p45 even though all the figures from the P45 were included in the form in first place (P53Z ). I have now sent P45 by letter and I can see that it has arrived on the check progress screen of my personal tax account. I need the money as it is over 7K and it seems ridiculous to request a P45 from me especially as the pension company has already sent the withdrawal details to HMRC and my current tax estimate for 22/23 correctly shows that I have paid too much tax. Why make the whole process so slow ?
Posted Mon, 15 Aug 2022 16:29:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Some countries do not have as part of the double taxation agreement with the UK, a relief for "trivial commutation lump sum payments".
Where this is the case, the lump sum is taxable in the country where the lump sum arises.
Posted Mon, 15 Aug 2022 16:38:11 GMT by Moedeeb
HI thanks for your reply but this issue is nothing to do with non UK pensions. It is a really simple refund of in year tax based on a month 1 or emergency tax levied on a uk pension flexible access payment. The pension provider didn’t have a correct tax code from HMRC at the time as it was my first withdrawal. I suppose I am asking why the actual P45 was requested when the correct online form has been filled in with the figures from the P45 and HMRC have subsequently issued a updated tax code to the pension provider.
Posted Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:12:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
An emergancy code is operated automatically when the pesnion is taken.
To claim a refund on the excess tax, refer to guidance at :
Claim a tax refund when you've taken a small pension lump sum

You must be signed in to post in this forum.