Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:48:52 GMT by janetwalker63 Walker
Hello everyone, I have filed my tax return through accountant company and I was under the understanding that I could claim back money I have used in my business such as a CPD accredited status and other items. I am a sole director and have put into the business my own personal funds. I apply for grants but starting up and due to COVID lock down the business was not able to function. Can a CIC make a claim for expenses similar to being self employment?
Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 14:39:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Per S54 Corporation Tax Act 2009, for companies, the statute says that expenditure cannot be deducted in computing trading profits unless it is incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade, profession or vocation. This is covered within the following guidance manual -

BIM37000 - Wholly and exclusively

Assuming you are referring to ‘Continuing Professional Development’, training is covered within -

BIM47080 - Specific deductions - staffing costs: staff training & development

In particular, we would draw your attention to this extract from the guidance – ‘Where on the other hand an employee or director of a company, on whom the expenditure is incurred, has a significant proprietary stake in the business or is a relative of those who do, there is obviously a much greater chance that expenditure may have been incurred not, or not wholly, for business purposes but to provide the employee with some personal benefit. If that is the case then the expenditure is not deductible - the business purpose has to be the exclusive purpose.’

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.