Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:03:13 GMT by Micia
Can an EEA citizen who resided in the UK for the past 10 years and paid NI Contributions, ask for a refund of their contributions when they settle back in their country of origin (EEA)? Or can the contributions count towards the contribution paid in the EEA country and towards that country final state pension? Thank you
Posted Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:43:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

When a person has been working in the UK then they are liable to pay National Insurance on their earnings, they are paid correctly and cannot be refunded.

Any contributions paid could count towards benefits and pension in the UK, and cannot be transferred to another member state.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:54:47 GMT by Gary Coombs
Just to add that it is likely that the EU rules on the coordination of social security systems will continue to apply to a person in these circumstances as they would presumably be protected under the EU Withdrawal Agreement. If so, their UK contribution years would be taken into account in the other EEA country when it calculates their state pension entitlement in due course, meaning they could more easily reach any minimum years requirement, or receive a higher pro-rata pension, depending on how the rules work in the other country. If they already have more than 10 UK years then the EU rules would make no difference to the UK state pension...

You must be signed in to post in this forum.