Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 11:20:13 GMT by
Hi, I'm a pensioner who has recently started to get emails from a company telling me i can claim all the tax paid on PPI payments i received a number of years ago. I am a little worried about responding to them as i hear so many stories about pensioners and others being scammed. Could i ask for some guidance please? can i claim tax back from my PPI claims or is this a scam??
Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 16:00:24 GMT by
Tax isn't deducted from PPI refunds so there is nothing to claim back in that respect. Tax is deducted from the statutory interest paid alongside PPI refunds and depending on the tax year the payment was made and your other taxable income in that year you may be due a refund. If you don't complete Self Assessment returns then the correct form to use is an R40. But if the interest was paid before 6 April 2019 then you are out of time to make a claim. You are perfectly free to use a third party company if you wish however they may keep 40%+ of any refund as their fee. It is your choice whether to accept their terms. If you have a valid claim you can do it yourself for free via gov.uk.
Posted Tue, 13 Jun 2023 07:43:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Yes, you can, this is done through form R40. If you have queries regarding this you can contact our Income Tax team.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 06:30:47 GMT by
Hi, i Want to apply for this tax ppi but i don t find the form, can someone help me with that , please
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:42:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Alinus2002 Radeanu,

It's the form R40
Claim a refund of Income Tax deducted from savings and investments

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:18:52 GMT by 32Coupe
I may be able to claim I received a message recently from a company (Redstar) that had made a successful PPI claim for me before 2015 and saying that the bank deducted tax from my award and I may now be able to claim this back via their partner company 'Tax Tree'. I was notified by HMRC that I am due a refund from April 2019 to April 2020 and that the cheque has been sent to Tax Tree. If this is correct and it isn't possible to claim back the tax paid to the bank from a PPI about 10 years ago, then Tax Tree will be taking a cut of my HMRC refund that has nothing to do with that PPI claim.....isn't this a scam? I am writing this while waiting for HMRC to answer my phone as I need to speak directly I think, but if anyone has an answer to put on here, please do in case I cant get through on the phone.
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:33:08 GMT by 32Coupe
Can someone please advise me? HMRC are sending, or have already sent a cheque for overpaid tax for 2019 to 2020 to Tax Tree, who are an agent for Redstar. I did not authorise anybody to get an overpaid tax refund on my behalf. I auhorised Redstar to find out if I can claim overpaid tax for a PPI they helped me with about 10 years ago. I didnt authorise them to take any money from my HMRC account. I am worried I am being scammed, I waited on the phone for an hour and 15mins 3 days ago and gave up. A message on the phone advised to speak to someone from HRMC, on line. I followed the link that is suggested and there was no option to speak with anybody on line. So here I am on a forum.
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 12:00:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
HMRC can only consider claims going back to the tax year 2019/20.
Any years prior to this can't be claimed as they are out of date. If the claim has been made for 19/20 and the PPI wasn't for that year, please report this to us: Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:38:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi 32Coupe,

If you did not authorise this please call again, the lines are quieter earlier in the day. You can also write to us.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:19:47 GMT by 32Coupe
Hello, thank you for getting back to me. On Friday I got through to the Tax fraud line and the lady I spoke to explained that I could fill in an on line form to stop Tax Tree being an agent for me in future, I filled the form in and then I telephoned Redstar and asked them if they did send me the text or if someone else is using their name. Redstar said they did send out these texts and that if I had any questions I should call tax Tree. They also said that the end date for claiming back for the PPI was actually in September 2019 which is why the refund was from 2019 to 2020. I also then phoned the general enquiries HMRC line who said I will have to wait for Tax Tree to send me my refund less their cut and that is how it is because I filled my NI number into an on line form it will be taken as a digital signature. I dont know how true the vut off date being September 2019 is, but it seems I must put this down to experience and might not get a refund cheque from Tax Tree at all.
Posted Sun, 30 Jul 2023 13:00:24 GMT by
My partner had a successful claim that was paid in 2020. However, my partner is now passed away, am I able to make the claim on behalf of the estate?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 10:49:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Stephen,

Yes, you can.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:14:27 GMT by
Hi, I have received a p800 letter telling me I am owed money but that a cheque has been sent to a company I haven't even heard from? I fear I have been scammed. I tried searching for the company that the cheque was sent to, and came across a forum online of the company been scammers.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 12:22:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Claire Archer,
If you think you have been scammed you would need to report the details to action fraud.
Action fraud 0300 123 2040 website:
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 04:10:46 GMT by Anne Commins
Hi I was told I could apply for a ppi rebate from a company called Phillip Hardwick, so I applied over 1 year ago. They keep telling me that HMRC are still reviewing my case but I know people that have had rebates in a few months. Has anyone else had issues and are they scamming me?
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 07:22:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Anne Commins,
We can confirm the progress of your repayment claim, it could be that we're just waiting on confimatory information from an employer or other sources of income.
Just contact us here and we can review your claim:
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 19:02:43 GMT by Anne Commins
Thank you. Please can you advise where I get help on the general enquiries as I can't find PPI tax Thank you. 

Name removed admin 
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:08:19 GMT by Anne Commins
Please can you advise how to get help Just contact us here and we can review your claim: Income Tax: general enquiries This does not take me to a site
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:30:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Anne,

You can claim a refund on PPI online at:

Check how to claim a tax refund

You can also get information on savings interest at:

Tax on savings interest

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:43:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Anne Commins,
Please see this link:
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.