Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 21 Apr 2023 11:38:43 GMT by Harsh Chaudhary
My employer is still using the tax code from one of my previous P45 forms (1057L) back when I used to have multiple jobs. All those employments came to an end and now I only have one employment and my tax code on online tax account shows as 1257L which is what I expected on my payslip as well. I contacted HMRC over the phone and they confirmed that they have communicated the use of new tax code (1257L) to my employer but they are still using the old one (1057L) and saying that they did not receive any communication regarding the tax change and its been almost a month now. So, I am not sure what to do in this case?
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 12:12:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If they are insisting they haven't received the code, please contact us again to reissue. If it happens a second time the employer will need to check they are receiving codes from HMRC.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 20:52:11 GMT by Meropi Mastropetrou
How do we contact HMRC to reissue correct tax code to employer? I asked them to change it as my tax code is wrong and they said I need to contact HMRC. I could not find the option on my online account.
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 14:06:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You need to contact our Income Tax team:

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.