Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 20 Mar 2023 07:52:09 GMT by vfz17539
I am working for a singaporean startup. They consider me a consultant so I was planning on paying national insurance and income tax via self assessment. However, recently I filled out the HRMC employee status form and it says I should be considered an employee for tax purposes. I have alerted my employer to this, however it is taking them a while to figure out how to pay me via PAYE as they are a small company and I am their first and only UK employee. They currently have no UK presence or entity. I am worried that the end of the tax year is approaching and I have recieved income but not paid national insurance or income tax on it. I do not want to be accidentally tax dodging, so how do I ensure I have paid all the appropriate tax? Can I register for self-assessment on the income recieved before my employer sets up PAYE?
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 16:20:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Foriegn employer paying salary without PAYE,

Yes, you will need to register for Self Assessment as this will be considered as foreign income. 

See guidance here:

Tax on foreign income

On how to report this

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.