Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 06 May 2023 18:19:28 GMT by Vira
Dear Community, I would appreciate your help with the following - I used to be a self-employed resident of the UK until I moved to Belgium for a full-time job in September 2022. From what I understood, I need to fill in my Self-Assessment SA100 with additional residency pages SA109 and return it to HMRC by post (and only by post), Is my understanding correct? Is there any guidance around filling in the SA109 form?
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 09:24:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

You can purchase 3rd party software and use it to report your self employment and residence status, see guidance here-

File your Self Assessment tax return online

that will allow you to submit your tax return online.  If you choose to use this method, you have until 31 January 2024 to submit your 2022 to 2023 return.  

If you choose a paper return, you must submit it by 31 October 2023.  The link will provide a list of valid suppliers.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 10:14:49 GMT by Vira
Thank you for your reply! Should I feel the self-assessment if from April 2022 to September 2022 I had £400 from self employed and in September I have moved in Belgium?
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 08:39:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Vira,

If you have earned less than the tax free  trading allowance guidance here: 
Tax-free allowances on property and trading income
Please contact us to request removal from Self Assessment:
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 19:55:12 GMT by Vira
Can I be removed from Self-Assessment just by calling HMRS? The consultant on the line told me that if I called it means that I have informed them.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 10:52:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Vira,

Please use the tool here Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return to confirm if a tax return is no longer requied.  

You can declare this by phoning the self assessment helpline using the link below

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.