Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 Feb 2023 17:05:13 GMT by Quentin Jendrzewski
I made a voluntary NI contribution on 23-Jan-2023 to complete the year 2006-2007 and my NI record has still not been updated. Is there some way I can check to see that the HMRC knows about the contribution and when they will credit it?
Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 07:44:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Quentin Jendrzewski,

Our UK Caseworkers are currently working on work received on 20 September 2022.

EU caseworkers are working on 6 September 2022

Rest of the world are currently working on 15 August 2022

If you have requested a receipt you will receive this when you payment has been allocated to your NI record.

If you have a Personal Tax Account on the website it will show on there when the payment is allocated.

If you have any concerns you may wish to contact the NI Helpline after the 5 April 2023 when our lines will be less busy.

Personal tax account: sign in or set up

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 18:39:14 GMT by Quentin Jendrzewski
Those backlogs look as though they will still be clearing beyond 5 April 2023 . The voluntary contributions are for gaps within the last 15 years, which will be accepted until 5 April 2023, after which the voluntary contribution window reduces to 6 years. Can you confirm that, once the payment is allocated, it will be shown as being applied at the targeted gaps in contributions according to the time when I made the payment (before 5 April 2023) rather than the time when the HMRC representative/agent processes it? In other words, will it clear the gaps I've targeted using the payment references supplied during a phone conversation with a HMRC representative?
Posted Tue, 07 Mar 2023 11:20:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

We can confirm that the date HMRC receives your payment will be the date it is accepted. If it was received prior to 05 April 2023 it will be accepted for tax years from 2006 to 2007 to 2016 to 2017 regardless of the date it is allocated by HMRC.

If you advised HMRC which tax years you would be paying for during your phone conversation, it will be allocated to those years (if it was received prior to the deadline).

If not, you should let us know which tax years you intend your payment to be allocated to, either by calling our National Insurance team on 0300 200 3500 (lines may not be as busy after April), alternatively by writing to us at the following address, stating the amount you have paid, which tax years you would like it to be allocated to and also include your name, address and National Insurance number. 

National Insurance Contributions & Employer Office address
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.