Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 16 Mar 2023 15:54:28 GMT by SFWong
I am retired and do not have any wages. My only income is interest from my savings and dividend from stocks. If I gain 5000 pounds of interest and 6000 pounds of dividend, the total amount is 11000 pounds in a tax year (which is below the Personal Tax Allowance 12750 pounds), do I need to pay any tax and fill in any tax forms? If 15% tax of the 6000 pounds of dividend have been deducted in the US trading company, do I need to declare the income in the tax form (as the dividend tax rate should be higher than that in UK for my situation)? Thank you
Posted Mon, 20 Mar 2023 15:53:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

As you will be in receipt of income from foreign dividends, you meet the criteria requiring that you complete a self assessment tax return. 

See links:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return .

  If you are not already registered for completing a tax return, you can register at :

Self Assessment tax returns   .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.