Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Dec 2022 12:15:54 GMT by DvnC
Hello, I am a permanent UK resident. I earn circa £35k a year from a UK organisation, before tax and any other deductions. I have recently started doing a 'side-hustle', that is freelance and me producing blogs/articles for a company based out in the US. I am paid in dollars, which I then transfer into GBP upon receipt. This work compromises me of researching and drafting content to be used on an American website which generates ad revenue for my sole customer. I am paid a flat fee and receive no other earnings from this content. I expect my earnings to be no more than £1000 for this, and future, tax years. My questions are: Is this income classed as foreign income? If this is classed as foreign income, am I permitted to use the £1000 traders allowance and exempt myself for registering for self-assessment? Do I need to register myself as a business/ register for tax purposes in any way? How should I proceed? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 07 Dec 2022 16:38:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Based on the information provided, this would be self employment and as such you can use the £1000 trade allowance.

As long as you do not exceed £1000 income in this respect, you do not need to register for Self Assessment.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.